The search for Rhododendron essential oil (Rhododendron anthopogon) lead to the birth of Stillpoint Aromatics, so it is very dear to my heart. But that is not the only reason. Rhododendron is an exceptional essential oil, both therapeutically and energetically. So, let me share this amazing botanical with you.
A Look at Rhododendron Anthopogon
Did you know that by knowing information about the plant can help you with the energetic and subtle uses of the essential oil?
The Rhododendron genus is the largest of the genera in the Ericaceae family — there are between 850-1000 species! So, Rhododendron essential oil is not extracted from the Rhododendron plant that you remember in your garden. Rhododendron anthopogon is the plant that the essential oil is extracted from. She is also known as Dwarf rhododendron or Sunpaati.
The flowers are white with a bit of pink. Grown across the Himalaya Range between an altitude range of 3000-4000m — that is between 9300 and 13000 ft! Our beautiful oil comes from Nepal and it also happens to be the national symbol of Nepal. It is a sacred offering in their country.
Energetics of Rhododendron Essential Oil
- According to Himalayan Aromatherapy, Rhododendron has grounding, calming, and centering properties.
- We have found Rhododendron to be very effective in assisting with issues such as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and anxiety. It is our opinion that when any kind of trauma arises in one’s life, no matter how large or small, emotional imprinting happens. When this trauma is not processed by the psyche, PTSD may occur. The oil dramatically reduces the anxiety flashback that occurs with this disorder. It helps restore a sense of balance or homeostasis of the psyche.
- Inhalation and diffusing of the essential oil helps create an emotional space to see the bigger picture and move forward.
- Assists one in getting out of one’s own way, so we can move forward easily.
- Helps us to connect and also remember childlike joy, carefreeness, and innocence.
- Consistent use of Rhododendron reduces fear and offers a sense of safety, therefore, allowing a sense of hope to develop.
- Rhododendron acts similar to a bridge to heal or mend broken lifelines (life experiences) and to create reconciliation.
- Oils that are distilled from the leaf also protect us from negativity and support expansion. Oils that are distilled from the flower are heart-opening and offer self-confidence, creativity, and new energy! This essential oil helps to call and allow in all that you want to manifest in life.
- This is an effective essential oil to assist one in moving through loss and bereavement, especially when used in combination with Melissa officinalis and Neroli Citrus aurantium var amara. (Stillpoint Aromatics, 2016).
- Rhododendron is very helpful when working with energetic, emotional and some physical issues related to the fourth chakra. The fourth chakra correlates to the heart and lungs.
Therapeutic Qualities of Rhododendron Essential Oil
- Rhododendron essential oil is extracted from the leaves, twigs, and the flowers of the plant and referring to Doctrine of Signatures at a very primary level, the leaf is where a plant breathes and respirates so it is no surprise that this oil is beneficial to the respiratory system by reducing pain and inflammation in the lungs.
- The major components of Rhododendron anthopogon D. Don are the monoterpenes, a- and b-pinene, d-limonene and the sesquiterpene delta cadinene and are thought to be analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and a good liver supporter and protector.
- The antimicrobial properties of this essential oil could be due to the most abundant components α-pinene, β-pinene and slightly less limonene.
- Rhododendron is a wonderful addition to any antibacterial blend. R. anthopogon demonstrated a significant killing effect against some gram-positive reference strains: Staphylococcus aureus, Enterococcus fecalis.
- Rhododendron is an effective decongestant and antispasmodic for the respiratory system.
- Rhododendron also inhibits fungal, bacterial and viral issues.
- She is also known to be a detoxifier and tonic for the adrenal glands as well as a kidney stimulator. This is an interesting indication of how chemical components work synergistically to provide therapeutic property that cannot be credited to any single major component. (Therein lies the danger of just looking at the components of an oil separately. I believe this to be an indication of the shortcomings of reducing an oil to only the chemical components) In looking at the GCMS for R. anthopogon, one of the scientifically researched properties for the major components is not decongestion of the respiratory system, but yet it does.
Anit-Anxiety Rhododendron Recipe
Here is one of our favorite diffuser stock blends to assist with the night time anxiety and fearful thoughts:
- Rhododendron (Rhododendron anthopogon) – 45%
- Laurel Leaf (Laurel Leaf) – 25%
- Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) – 25%
- White Ginger Lily (Hedychium coronarium) – 5%
- Rose (Rose damascena) – 5%