Grief is something that we all experience at one time or another. It seems that the words loss and grief are tied together. Grief has many faces. Loss of a loved one, loss of a pet, loss of a friendship, loss of a relationship, loss of a job… actually loss of anything that is important to you.
When we are in grief we usually feel it in our heart, and so it makes sense that the chakra that is most affected is the heart chakra. We hear people say my heart hurts, my heart has been ripped open, my heart is empty.
Essential oils for grief
Essential oils can provide a great sense of support and relief when we are grieving. However, essential oils just at large are not a cure-all. Instead, you must examine the cause of grief to determine the most effective essential oil or essential oil blend during bereavement. Grief over the loss of a mother is quite different than loss over a job.
In addition, grief is multifaceted and can bring about many emotions, including anger, shock, depression, confusion, lethargy, and more. Finding the right essential oil — or blend — for grief can depend on which emotions you are feeling at that time.
So, we always look at the vibrational relationship for the grief when choosing essential oils to help.
What essential oils are good for grief?
Here are some of the many oils that we find to be very helpful and supportive through the grief process.
- Melissa (Melissa officinalis): Premier oil for shock, trauma. This oil is calming and sedating.
- Laurel Leaf (Laurus Nobilus): This oil provides courage and protection.
- Neroli (Citrus aurantium var amara): An antidepressant, Neroli offers strong emotional support.
- Rose (Rosa damascena): This is the choice oil for grief. Effective for PTSD. Sense of love and mothering. Very reparative to the heart and heart chakra.
- Patchouli (Pogostemon cablin): This oil helps with bereavement and depression.
- Cape Chamomile (Eriocephalus punctulatus): A fabulous oil that is calming but also uplifting.
- Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis): Helps with depression, confusion, and lethargy.
- Cinnamon Bark (Cinnamomum zeylanicum): This oil helps with anger associated with grief.
- Helichrysum italicum: Helps with healing the wounds that caused the grief.
- Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia): This oil offers all around comfort.
- Tangerine (Citrus reticulata): Offers hope and reconnection to joy.
- Rhododendron (Rhododendron anthopogon): Assists us in getting out of our own way and connecting to the spirit of our family.
- Cedarwood (any variety): Helps with a feeling of anchoring and finding your footing.
- Cypress (Cupresses sempriverens): Helps with transitioning during the grief process.
- Fragonia (Agonis fragrans): Offers balance on all levels. Helps to look at things in a new way. To help build new neuronets.
Essential oil blends for grief
Blending different essential oils can help combat the different emotions and experiences that grief causes. Here are some sample recipes for an inhaler or diffuser that have worked well for us:
Grief Essential Oil Blend #1
This blend works well for comfort and moving through grief.
- 5 drops Laurel Leaf
- 2 drops Rose
- 7 drops Lavender Fine
- 6 drops Rhododendron
Grief Essential Oil Blend #2
This blend works well for stability and uplift.
- 5 drops Cape Chamomile
- 9 drops Tangerine
- 3 drops Texas Cedarwood
Grief Essential Oil Blend #3
We created this special grief blend after the sudden death of our little poodle, Bella. Also available as an inhaler, this blend contains Meroli, Melissa and Laurel Leaf.
We also have a Grief Flower Essence available with six flower essences carefully curated to be used in times of grief and hopelessness.
Aromatherapy with essential oils for grief
As far as the method of application, that really depends on you. For emotional issues diffusing or using an “aromastick” (nasal inhaler) is optimum. This is because the sense of olfaction is a direct link to the cerebral cortex and limbic system.
No matter the method of application, it’s important to apply essential oils for grief with the intention to release the pain and trauma you are experiencing. Essential oils can help with mental and emotional restoration when used with intention.